Sunday, January 6, 2008

Jacket Potatoes

Yes, I know the British aren't known for their food, but Archie and I have been introduced to something we love...jacket potatoes. Danny, this is dedicated to you, since it is so easy.

For 2:
1 potato per person
mince meat, aka ground beef (I did 1/2 lb, but it's good as leftovers, so Danny still do 1/2 lb)
1/2 onion
1/2 packet of chili con carne seasoning (it's looks just like the taco seasoning mix packets)
grated cheddar cheese

Step 1:
Washed and pierce potatoes with fork. Microwave 3 minutes. Flip over and do 3 more minutes.
While in the microwave, chop up the onion.

Step 2:
Cook the onion and ground beef on med heat, stirring so the onion doesn't stick and burn. Once the meat gets hot and the fat starts coming out you won't have to worry about the onion sticking anymore. Cook so it's not pink anymore, but don't brown it.

Do not skip this step: Step 3:
Take the potatoes, smear some butter on top and put them in the oven. The idea is to get the skin kind of crispy and delicious. We have a toaster oven and I put them in on the highest heat for less than 5 minutes. I'm not sure what this translates to in a giant oven.

Step 4:
While you potatoes are finishing, add the 1/2 packet of seasoning to the meat and the amount of water it says on the back. (Don't forget to half the water since you are only using half). This stuff is way hotter than taco seasoning, so don't add the whole packet unless you are really doing 1 lb of meat. Let it simmer down until the water cooks off.

I wish I had a picture, but what you do is slice open your potato, sprinkle on the cheese and add the meat on top. I don't particularly die over ground beef, but for some reason, this hits the spot. Maybe because it's spicy. Don't forget your veggies so you don't get gout.

No comments: