Sunday, February 10, 2008

Penne alla Norma


This is a Martha Stewart recipe which I have been making a lot lately. Mostly because it's cheap and easy and delicioso. My basil plant is thriving and we are about to reap a huge harvest of tomatoes, so I'm guessing this will be something we'll eat even more in the future.

Ingredients

Serves 4 to 6

  • 1 pound penne rigate
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or 4 tsp bottled fresh garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (I have also used zucchini and it was good too)
  • 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste (or a couple tablespoons of leftover spaghetti sauce)
  • 1/2 cup torn fresh basil, plus more for garnish
  • 3/4 cup ricotta cheese (I also like just plain shredded cheddar cheese)

Directions

  1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add eggplant to skillet; season generously with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until eggplant begins to release juices, about 5 minutes. Uncover; cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes (if bottom of pan browns too much, add a few tablespoons water, and scrape with spoon).
  4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water to skillet; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
  5. Toss sauce and basil with pasta; gently reheat if necessary. Top each serving with a spoonful of ricotta, and garnish with more basil.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This looks realy good, Pepper. I wish I could convince everyone around here that pasta is good. In the meantime I might just have to make this for myself and let the men in this house suffer. Thanks for sharing.

Jessica Brown said...

um that looks so good! Thanks for posting that Peps!